Thursday, August 4, 2011

My Man Had A BAD Day ....

Anyone who knows my man knows he is a HARD worker and he IS NOT a complainer and that it takes A LOT to bring my man down.  He has suffered some pretty severe ailments or injuries in his life ranging from anaphylactic shock due to seafood allergies, E.Coli (on our second anniversary), and dropping a “dirty knife” (on my birthday) in his leg and missing his femoral artery by less than an inch. 

My man was much younger when he went into anaphylactic shock from eating smoked mullet dip.  His mother and I talk about that day often – especially since my man has decided he wants to “experiment” to see if he is still allergic.  Unfortunately my man “grew in to” his seafood allergy ~ he KNOWS he LOVES it BUT he CAN NOT have it!!  We have honestly had MANY conversations with him saying he is going to get some shrimp and check in at the local ER and tell them that he is going to require their assistance very soon … I keep assuring him that this would not be smart. 

When my man had E.Coli he spent a week in the hospital … he was pretty much comatose that entire week.  On my second wedding anniversary I sat in my man’s hospital room while the doctor told me “there is NO antibiotic to treat this … he has to be strong enough to fight it on his own.”  It was THE scariest week of my entire life!!  5 days later my man was released from the hospital, although he was very weak he made a scene refusing to ride in a wheelchair!!  My man had a 2 week recovery period … he got a little stir crazy but we were just thankful he was still alive!!

Just 4 months later my man was at work slaughtering cattle.  He was up on a platform and his knife slipped out of his hand.  He tried to “catch” the knife and pushed it right into his left leg.  Instantly he thought he had hit that main artery.  Fortunately he had not hit that artery; however he came VERY close.  The big problem was they would not stitch his leg up because the knife was “dirty” and if he got an infection the infection would have nowhere to go.  He was the patient all the residents wanted to be in on because of how unique the case was.  My man had about a 4 week recovery … he got VERY stir crazy and spent a lot of time with his Papa recovering.  Again we were just very thankful he was alive!!

About 2 weeks ago my man was working outside and got stung by a wasp on his left hand.  Within just a few minutes his hand began to swell.  By the time we went to bed his entire left arm was swollen up to his shoulder.  Sure is a good thing I recommended he take his wedding band off (which is a no no for both of us).

Tuesday night my man was outside changing the blades on the mower when he got stung by a wasp AGAIN this time right between the eyes.  Y’all that wasp hit him so hard he was bleeding when he came in the house.  I immediately got concerned because of how quickly and how much he swelled up last time he got stung!! 

This is a progression of his swelling in photos (he asked me last night if his “sting pictures” had made the blog)  …  

You can already see the bridge of his nose and eyes swelling ...


Now you can see the swelling under his eyes ...
 

Now you can see his entire face is swollen ...
Y'all that is ALL from ONE WASP ...

Of course my man wouldn't go to the ER or urgent care center ... his sister and I tried to convince him that his airway was going to look like his face if he didn't go.  He assured me that he knew EXACTLY what anaphylactic shock felt like and was perfectly fine ... I then had to convince his mom and my mom that he was fine ... that's a hard job to do when you aren't 100% convinced yourself. 

My man stayed home yesterday all drugged up – AND if you know my man he DOES NOT miss work for ANYTHING!!  He said that he felt like he should not go to work and cut meat since he could not open his eyes - I agreed.  Needless to say we have an appointment set up to see an allergist - maybe now we can find out the “safe way” if he is still allergic to seafood …

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I hope he gets better soon. Those pictures are so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell Uncle B I hope he feels better and also to stay away from those awful WASPS!!!;)
    Love, Brookie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uncle B is feeling much better AND he looks much better Brookie!! Thank you for your well wishes sweetie!! Love YOU!!

    ReplyDelete